Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Kickboxing and the 9 Week Challenge




About a month ago I started going to kickboxing and resistance classes at a place in Ames called Goals In Motion. If you have heard of Farrell's Extreme Body Shaping, basically, it's the same thing. My brother and sister-in-law did the Farrell's one this summer and they lost a lot of weight, gained muscle, and look amazing. They now go to the maintenance classes after finishing the Farrell's 10 week challenge. Even though I have been working out for about a month, my 9 week challenge only started 2 weeks ago. We were split into groups and have 1-2 coaches who look over our meal plans and meal diaries for the first few weeks to make sure we understand the nutrition part of the challenge. We had a "before" picture taken in a sports bra and shorts or a bikini. We also were weighed, had our body fat composition taken, ran the mile, and did as many sit-ups and push-ups in one minute as we could. We will get tested on all that again at the half-way point and then again at the end of the challenge. During the 3 weeks of working out prior to the challenge, I really didn't change my diet that much, but once the challenge started I really tried to buckle down. The diet is all about clean eating. Processed food is bad, fruits and veggies, lean white meat, and whole grains are good. Pizza and mochas are bad! That has probably been the hardest thing for me to cut out. Although I usually only have 1 mocha a week, that was the one thing I craved the whole first week. Cutting out pizza was hard too since we have frozen pizza about once a week when Joel doesn't have enough time to grill. You are supposed to eat 5-6 times a day. Breafast, snack, lunch, snack, and supper. It feels like you are eating all the time. When you eat meals and snacks you are always supposed to eat a carb and a protein. And you have to drink tons of water, about 90-100 ounces a day. Another hard thing for me to cut out was dairy. Cheese it bad, except for cottage cheese, and the occasional glass of milk is okay. I drink lots of skim milk so that was also hard to cut out, but I usually still have a glass at lunch. At least it saves me money at the store now since we don't go through as much milk. The good thing is that I am rarely ever hungry since we eat so often, but occasionally I am in the evening after eating after my workout. They say as long as you can eat really well 90-95% of the time that you are doing great!

Classes are 6 days a week (Monday-Saturday). I go to the 5:30 pm class. It's actually really nice because Joel gets home just after 5:00 pm, and takes the boys for a walk. By the time I get home just after 6:30 pm, the boys have been fed, bathed and have their pj's on. He puts Ayden to bed, and after I shower I nurse Cael and get him to bed while Joel grills us something for supper.

I really enjoy the classes and have met a lot of great people so far. Kickboxing is a lot of fun because we get to wear our boxing gloves and spend most of class on the bag hitting and kicking. It's a great cardio workout. By the time class is over you are drenched with sweat, but feel awesome. Resistance class class is more about using weights and resistance bands. We also do tons of squats, lunges, and planks. I've already noticed how much stronger I am from when I started and am using harder resistance bands then I did in the beginning. My clothes are looser on me, and just after two weeks of the challenge I have lost......6 1/2 POUNDS!! I'm so excited to be finally losing this baby weight from Cael and Ayden. My goal is to get back to where I was before I was pregnant with Ayden when I was running 4 miles a day every morning at 4 am when we lived in DC. I have a long ways to go though, but I'm optimistic! After the challenge is over I will definitely be signing up for the maintenance program and try to go most days, if possible. I would even like to try and get up to go in the mornings, eventually, once Cael is a little older. I will keep you updated on my progress :)

Ayden had fun trying on and playing with my boxing gloves.


No comments: