Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Caelan Lucas has arrived!

Caelan Lucas was born on Thursday, March 18th at 1:09 pm. He weighed 8 pounds and was 21 inches long!

Right after he was born.

Getting ready to leave the hospital.


After feeling sick off and on all week I made it to my scheduled induction date with no baby. We showed up at the hospital at 7:30 am and filled out lots of paperwork for about an hour. I was still only dilated to almost 4 cm and effaced about 70% so I had not changed in about a week since my last doctor's appointment. They broke my water around 8:30 am and told me to walk around and to keep track of my contractions. Within minutes of going up and down the hall walking they became 3 1/2 minutes apart on average and were getting stronger than the ones I was having before my water was broken. Luckily, I didn't have to get any labor inducing drugs like pitocin since I was doing great on my own. I walked for about 2 hours and the contractions were about 2 1/2 minutes apart and were hurting really bad so I asked for an epidural. They told me I would have to be dilated to at least 4 cm to get one. After checking me out they told me I was 7 cm and then they had to put in an IV and fill me up with some fluids before putting in the epidural. That was at least another half hour ordeal. Then, finally the guy got my epidural in after poking at me for 10 excruciating minutes while I was trying to hold still and having the worst pain I've ever felt in my life because the contractions were getting worse. It was finally in and I was numb around 12:15 pm. For some reason it was making me itch though so I was constantly itching my face, but I didn't mind too much since I was pain-free. About 20 minutes later they told me I was ready to push. After pushing for 25 minutes Caelan Lucas came into the world at 1:09 pm. I can't complain, only 4 1/2 hours in labor compared to 6 hours with Ayden :)

Getting ready to leave the hospital.

Ayden meeting his little brother for the first time.

Proud big brother.


Caelan is doing well and is a very content and easy-going baby. He's a great eater and sleeper. He gained 3 ounces in 2 days, and at his check-up on Monday they watched him nurse and checked him out and said everything looked great! Ayden is very curious about his little brother, but has been a great helper and doesn't seem to be jealous. Looking back on picures of Ayden as a newborn is like deja vu because they look so much alike, except that Ayden's hair was lighter than Caelan's hair. They both have lots of hair though!

I'm still trying to adjust to the late-night feedings, but it helps that Joel gets up to hang out with us and change diapers and grab anything I might need. I can't believe he will be 1 week old tomorrow!

4 days old!

No comments: