Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Dam to Dam 20K Race

I decided at the end of March that I was going to run the Dam to Dam 20K on June 4th in Des Moines. I've gotten into excellent shape from doing my Goals in Motion classes every day, and I did train for a half-marathon about 6 years ago, but got really sick a few days before so I was unable to run it in Amsterdam. Here was my chance to redeem myself! I knew training would be time consuming especially since I now have two kids, where as six years ago I was free to run whenever I felt like it. Joel decided he would run it with me. He barely trained... Training consisted of three shorter runs during the week and a long run on the weekend. Here is a sample of the training schedule I followed: 1/2 marathon training schedule I modified it a little. Sometimes I would only do two of the shorter runs and count kickboxing as a third because it was great cardio, but I would always do the long run, and sometimes add on a mile or two. Most of my training was in nice weather, not too warm or humid. That ended up hurting me on race day because it was warm and humid! I'm not someone that loves to run. I don't mind 3-4 or even 5 miles. When my long runs got up to 8 miles and above it really started to suck. I dreaded those long ones.

The day of the race approached and Joel and I booked a hotel room in Des Moines so we would only have to get up and catch the bus that took us to the starting line at 4:45 am instead of 4:00 am. We met up with my friend Amanda, her husband Austin, and her sister for dinner at Biaggi's the night before the race. It was a good time and a good excuse to carb up on pasta! The race started at 7:30 am and we ran from Saylorville Dam to downtown Des Moines. 12.4 miles. It was cloudy, but a warm 70 degrees and humid. The first 6 miles went well, and then I hit the wall. I had no energy, I was hot, and it took everything I had to keep my legs moving. I finally had to stop and walk a little bit. Joel was not impressed. I didn't care. My goal was to finish, not to achieve a certain finish time. It also freaked me out that there were ambulances all over the place and people getting IV's put in everywhere I looked. I decided at that point my goal would be to not pass out or to need an IV.

Me with my medal after the race. (Not a good picture since it was with my phone).

I'm so glad that I did run it and it was a great experience. I ended up only having to walk about a mile of the 12.4 miles, and ran the other 11.4 so I am happy. My pace was about 30 seconds slower than usual, but the weather contributed to that. It was an amazing feeling having all these people cheer for you as you run by. Joel and I also crossed the finish line at the same time and we each got a medal which I will proudly display. I probably won't run Dam to Dam or any other half marathons again...well, who knows? Maybe I will, its only been a little over a month. Maybe when the boys get older. Maybe they can run with me :)

Here are some pictures of me running that Jolesch Photography took.


No comments: